Welcome!

Formerly the Birchfield family blog, this space has been taken over by Sydney B., hip-hop dancer, softball player, fashion designer and youngest of the Birchfield clan.

There will be an occasional note from mom when something of interest pops up, but most of the commentary/photos/drawings will be from the young mind of Sydneyboo, diva in training.

No spelling or grammar critiques, please!




Monday, January 26, 2009

Life Goes On

People, people, people, did you think I had abandoned the blogging world? Feels kinda like it. I think I touched on this in an earlier post, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself. Life has been bumpy for the last couple of months with Syd and her *mystery* illness. Until the last week or so, she has been battling fatigue, tummy pain, lack of appetite, anxiety, etc. Finally, after many prayers, tears, millions of doctor appointments, a houseful of medication, she seems to be improving. We still have no firm diagnosis, though we're investigating celiac disease right now due to having 2 out of 5 positive markers in a blood test. We are hopeful she does not have this, but we're determined to deal with it and move on if she does. Life marches on.

Since I was here last, Barack Obama has taken the oath of office and is comfortably seated in the Oval Office running the show. Can I get an AMEN? On Inauguration Day, the girls got up early, finished their school work in the a.m. and plopped down on the couch with me to watch. Sydney was most fascinated by it all, saying that Barack HOUSTON (her interpretation)Obama was HOT. Yeah, she's 8, I know... Anyway, we watched all of it, the swearing in, the news coverage of Kennedy's seizure at the luncheon (bummer), the parade and even the balls. Sydney was so excited to see what Michelle Obama was wearing. It was a big day in the Birchfield house. We talked about how important a day it was, even for people who didn't vote for him. We talked about civil rights, racism and we talked about how Malia Obama's camera was JUST LIKE HERS, except it was blue -- you know, the important stuff.

In other news, the clan will be bypassing Daytona Beach this year, opting to stay a little closer to home and travel to Myrtle Beach instead. I've never been to Myrtle Beach. One of my friends tells me it's like Pigeon Forge with a beach, so I'm not sure I'm gonna love it, but until we've got a handle on Syd's health issues, we think closer is better this year. I will miss the familiarity of Daytona, my vacation destination every summer FOREVER, will miss the dog track, Salty Dog's, the cars driving up and down the beach. Joe proposed to me in Daytona, so it will always be at the top of my list. All this worry about Syd has sorta taken some of the zest out of our home for the last little bit, so it's hard to get real jazzed up about vacation, but we're going to give it our best shot. The hard part is deciding on a place to stay. Never having been there, it is kinda hard to choose between the 2 million resorts listed online. Anyone with experience in this area, please email me with advice on this!

Until next time...

~Peace

No comments: