Welcome!

Formerly the Birchfield family blog, this space has been taken over by Sydney B., hip-hop dancer, softball player, fashion designer and youngest of the Birchfield clan.

There will be an occasional note from mom when something of interest pops up, but most of the commentary/photos/drawings will be from the young mind of Sydneyboo, diva in training.

No spelling or grammar critiques, please!




Saturday, January 5, 2008

Thoughts

My first entry of the new year, 2008, WOW! Do you remember when we were doing the countdown to 2000 -- Y2K? I can remember sitting in high school biology chatting with my friends trying to figure out how old we would be in 2000, like it was some far away time when aliens would inhabit the earth and we'd all drive those hover vehicles like Marty drove in Back to the Future II. Now it's 2008.

Sydney loves the change of the year because she likes to announce that is how old she will be this year. She was born in 2000, so figuring out how old she is seems like a fun thing -- *It's easy to figure out how old I am going to be, Mom, because I'm always the same as the year*!

And as for it being the first entry of the year, I sorta fudged on that a bit. I did post a family rant for about 4 hours yesterday and then thought better of it. Nothing too harsh, no bad language, not even the mention of any names. Just a rant on the dysfunction of my real family and my in-law family and how some days it just makes me vibrate all over like I've got some sort of neurological disorder where I can't control my physical self. But after I got it all out on the virtual paper that is this blog, I let it sit. Then I came back to it and let it sit some more. Then late last night I decided it could go wherever Internet garbage goes when it's deleted -- Where does it go, I wonder? I hit delete and *Poof*, like Jeanie blinked her pretty pink eyelids, it is gone, vanished, evaporated. I digress...

Anyway, after cooling my jets for a minute -- well, for hours, I decided it was okay to let it go. Maybe not let it go completely because here I am still babbling about it, but at least let it go to the point that it stayed within my four walls. I'm sure at some point, I will just *get over it*, as my Mom is so fond of telling me to do.

Well, school starts back Monday, as much as I hate it. Art class for Kelsey starts Tuesday again and dance class starts back Thursday for Syd. Kelsey is representing her class in the school spelling bee Wednesday (Are YOU smarter than a third grader?) Indoor softball practice starts this weekend -- two practices a week and pitching lessons on Fridays. Joe and I will both start back to work this week after the wonderful holiday break. We are BACK IN THE GROOVE, you might say.

What do you think we'd be doing if we didn't have kids? What would we do with our time? Would I have some big career, building a big fat nest egg for myself somewhere? Or would I still have chosen to play Harriett to Joe's Ozzie? I doubt it. I'm not a natural at the housewife role. Anyone who has visited my laundry room in the last 4 or 5 years can tell you my level of procrastination has reached Guinness Book proportions. And I have no guilt when the pizza guy wheels into my driveway and my neighbor is standing on her porch calling her kids in for dinner. I just wave and think, "Sucker!" We probably would travel more, work more, workout more, sleep more, but I think it wouldn't feel right. Like when you borrow your girlfriend's lipstick when you left yours on the vanity at home. It gets the job done, but it just doesn't feel right.

So I hope everybody is enjoying the first week of 2008, getting on top of those resolutions, hitting the gym and organizing, organizing, organizing. What is it about January 1 that makes me want to buy plastic bins and a label maker? That, my friends, is a question for another day...

See ya' soon!

Oh, yeah. I'm hoping to put up some video here soon from Sydney's little video camera. She has taken some of the funniest videos over the past few months. Especially the Joey/Joe dance-off playing Dancing with the Stars for the Wii. Priceless, people, PRICELESS!

~Peace~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, both these are great. I laughed out loud on the SUCKER comment! I get so excited when I've actually cooked three whole nights in a row that we usually miss real food for another week :-)

Anyway, you keep being fearless! You're inspiring to read.

Sandra Van Winkle said...

I LOVE it! It was great talking with a kindred spirit today. Keep it up. It is souls like you that make life special and I consider myself lucky when the Universe conspires to bring us together. Peace, Blessings and All the Rest!
Sandi