Welcome!

Formerly the Birchfield family blog, this space has been taken over by Sydney B., hip-hop dancer, softball player, fashion designer and youngest of the Birchfield clan.

There will be an occasional note from mom when something of interest pops up, but most of the commentary/photos/drawings will be from the young mind of Sydneyboo, diva in training.

No spelling or grammar critiques, please!




Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Third Grade Pool Party


Well, Kelsey had her third grade Meet & Greet today at Lovell Hills Pool. She has a new teacher this year -- and I mean NEW. The teacher was recently hired by CFC (That's Christian Family Cooperative to the 2 people in the world reading this who don't know where my little criminals attend school!) and she's fresh out of college.

To this point, I had not met the teacher and was looking forward to it. I had requested this particular teacher simply because the existing third grade teacher seems a little worn down from teaching and lacks -- hmmmm, how shall I put this -- a sense of humor of any kind. For those of you who know my sweet little Kelsey, you know this will not work. Kelsey is my mini-me. And for those of you who know me, you'll know why a teacher with no sense of humor would not work!

So I hang out at the pool watching Kelsey jump repeatedly into the water, stealthfully chasing her little boyfriend, Christopher, from one end to the other. Finally, I ask one of the other moms where the teacher is. After all, that's the ONLY reason I'm loitering in the 90 degrees on this muggy August day. She says, "She's right there." I turn around and a little girl with a long blonde ponytail is standing looking all of about 14. I swear it was Hannah Montana!

I introduce myself and spend a few minutes talking to her. She's bubbly, she's excited, she looks just like Barbie. How old I now feel. I really am *the mom*. You know, you can fool yourself for a long time that you're only as old as you feel, ignoring the gray in your hair, the pain in your back and the age spots on your hands all because you still feel like you're 23 inside. But then you meet your child's new, fresh-out-of-school teacher and she calls you, "Ma'am" just that one time.

What is that Garth Brooks' song -- Too Young To Feel This Damn Old? Yeah, well, not anymore, I guess.

No comments: