Welcome!

Formerly the Birchfield family blog, this space has been taken over by Sydney B., hip-hop dancer, softball player, fashion designer and youngest of the Birchfield clan.

There will be an occasional note from mom when something of interest pops up, but most of the commentary/photos/drawings will be from the young mind of Sydneyboo, diva in training.

No spelling or grammar critiques, please!




Monday, July 30, 2007

Doctor Visit

So this morning I am awoken at 6:50 a.m. to my 6-year-old toting her pillow to my room. Figuring she had had a bad dream, couldn't sleep, whatever, I started to make room for her in bed. Then she got closer and I noticed that her pink pillow was covered with blood, looking like maybe her ear had fallen off at some point in the night. Another nosebleed. This is probably the fifth or sixth one in six weeks. Enough of the guessing, time for the dreaded trip to the germ capital of the world -- the pediatrician's office. Gotta make sure there's no sinus infection living up there.

So after the requisite BP check, weight check, the pediatrician bee-bops in the door -- not in a chatty mood (It's Monday after all.) He takes one look in her throat, asks me literally two questions and says no infection, just scabs in her nose and then tells me to put Vaseline on a Q-tip, insert (Yeah, I know. I gagged and so did Syd.) and rub it onto the inside of her nose twice a day for a week.

I said, "Well, I just wanted to make sure she didn't have any swelling, infection, etc., because she's complaining of pain, too." He said, "No swelling, just irritation." The man did not even make an attempt at looking in her nose. How does he know she has no swelling in there? She could have a whole serving of macaroni up there for all he knows because HE DIDN'T TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK! So frustrating.

This is the second doctor we've had to go to at this particular pediatrician's office because the first doctor under-diagnosed Kelsey on more than one occasion and we ended up once in the E.R. the same night for severe ear infection (not just the cold she had been diagnosed with four hours before) and once back at the doctor's office the same day for strep throat (not just *seasonal allergies*, as the lovely doctor had told us that morning.) I guess I'm gonna have to start searching out a new group. Ugh.

But for now Sydney has dried up and is sleeping off her early wake-up call. Guess I'm on Vaseline duty at bedtime tonight. Yippee. If this post is not a major advertisement for birth control, I don't know what is!

No comments: